Thai Tofu Bowl
Light and protein rich salad bowl.
Thai Tofu Bowl
Light and protein rich salad bowl
- 2 Cups finely shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix. ( You can use 1 Cup of green and 1 Cup of red cabbage as well)
- 2 Spring onions stocks or 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 Carrot sliced or shredded
- 400g ounce extra firm/firm tofu
- ½ Cup red bell pepper
- ½ Cup yellow bell pepper
- ½ Cup orange bell pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted roasted peanuts.
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 -1 and 1/2 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp date syrup or maple syrup
1/2 Tsp garlic chopped
½ Tsp ginger chopped
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 Tsp salt + a pinch
- Ground black pepper as per needed
- 2 - 3 Tbsp water (depending on the thickness of peanut butter)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit ( 204 degrees Celsius).
- Press tofu using a tofu press or with a heavy object for 10 - 15 minutes. ( You can wrap it with 5 -6 paper towels, place it on a plate and press it with a heavy object such as a glass or porcelain baking tray ). This drains the excess moisture and also helps in tofu absorbing more flavor.
While the tofu is being drained, cut/shred the cabbage, bell peppers, onions, carrots. Alternatively if you use coleslaw mix, just prepare the rest of the veggies.
- Toss them in a mixing bowl and divide into two plates or bowls.
- Cut the tofu into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl mix the ginger, garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and oil. Coat the tofu with the mixture. Place them in a baking sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.( You can increase or reduce the time depending on how much crispy you want them to be)
- Make the sauce: While the tofu is baking, prepare the peanut dressing sauce.
- In a small bowl add the peanut butter and water, mix very well until it becomes very creamy. Add the apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt (if the peanut butter is unsalted) and maple syrup or the date syrup. Mix well.
Now place the baked tofu on top of the veggies in the bowls. Top it with the roasted peanuts.
- Drizzle the dressing. Enjoy!