Indian style okra stir fry with onions, tomatoes and spices!
Indian style okra stir fry with onions, tomatoes and spices.
Optional Meal Bundle (Bhindi Masala Kit)
600 grams bhindi cut okra
- 2.5 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 40g ginger garlic cube paste (2 cubes)
- 1 green chili chopped, or more to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Garam masala to sprinkle
- Chapatti (Optional to serve)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped bhindi to the pan. Let is cook on medium heat for 10 mins, then lower the heat to low and cook 5 more minutes. Stir often.
The bhindi is mostly cooked by now (after 15 mins) and there should be very little sliminess left. Remove pan from heat.
To another pan (or use the same pan after transferring bhindi to a bowl), now add the remaining 1.5 tablespoons oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for few seconds.
Add chopped onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Then add the ginger and green chili and cook for 1 more minute.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook for around 4 minutes until soft and mushy.
Then add the spices - coriander powder, turmeric, amchur, red chili powder and salt. Mix the spices well with the masala. Add a tablespoon of water at this point so that the spices do not burn. Stir well.
Add the cooked bhindi to the pan and mix well. Set heat to low-medium and cook for 5 minutes without covering the pan.
Sprinkle with garam masala. Serve bhindi masala with chapattis/paratha/rice.